Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Vertical Bartop or Cocktail?

Another brick in the wall!

Here is a picture of one of the experiments with the 13'' TV, GroovyArcade (Linux Arcade distro) installation in a Sony 8GB USB Stick.




My old kitchen 13'' TV (Basicline, AK36 Chasis) is not appropriate:
- First, it's not possible to adjust the horizontal geometry size, I get 2cm (~1 inch) of overscan;
- Second, it doesn't restore it's last state when the power is back on. Every time I turn up the machine I have to turn it on with the remote! I found a few information regarding this, it can be just a jumper change in the chassis... through the service menu is not possible to solve;
- Third, sometimes, it doesn't turn on with the remote... it might be something simple for a TV technician, but not for me...


So... I tried the 22'' Grundig (55cm).
Had to do lot's of googling in order to find how to change the geometry, I finally found the TV's technical PDF with the service menu details.

I'm using the CPU of the other Arcade Machine, booting GroovyArcade from the 8GB USB Stick.
I had a few troubles setting the screen to vertical, through the installation. I set the orientation to vertical, but neither AdvanceMenu (the front-end) or GroovyMame are set to vertical. I needed to edit  advancemenu.rc and mame.ini.
It boots very fast, and runs very quickly! Since I'm going to have a very reduced set of ROMs (only 4-way vertical MAME ROMs), I might use this or other USB Flash Disk as the only disk.

To give you an idea of the Project's state, here is a picture of my son testing Pac-Mania on the shoe box.


Pac-Man (Ms, Jr, Mania, ...) and Galaga (original and 88) fit perfectly on the screen! It's like a real Arcade Monitor. I get a little bit of overscan for the Donkey Kongs... less than 0,5 cm, I can live with that.

It's a very big screen for a Bartop! So, I'm kind of in a dilemma right now... Will I go Bartop or Cocktail?
Maybe I'll try something like this (here's the source website):


A copy of that, will fire up the project costs... I'll need to be creative so that I keep the budget as lowest as possible.







No comments:

Post a Comment